Hi,
I get the digest and read the entire thing before jumping in to reply...so here
is a few things that I wanted to add:
Dolly had a very bad respiratory infection when I got her at 8 weeks, the vet
said it was not Bordatella (kennel cough) and she actually has an ongoing
incidence of respiratory infections.  Most likely she is a puppy mill puppy and
not sure if it is genetic or just because of that first bad infection. Because
I have severe respiratory problems I asked the vet a couple years ago if we
could keep her on low dose meds to prevent those respiratory infections and she
has done very well with the Atarax twice a day.  Not sure if that would suggest
genetic or just a result of a severe infection when she was tiny and had
already undergone surgery to repair an umbilical hernia when she was 7 weeks
old.

She had colitis as a puppy, leaving blood trails on the floor as she walked
away from her puppy pad. So then she was on the SD ID food for many months
until I could put her on kibble at about 11 months old.

She had the scooting thing going on - in the rocks - and that is the only time
that she had to have her anal glands expressed.  She was quite young because it
was right when the vet wanted to start her on the Interceptor.

At 11 months she was on the RC Chihuahua and was on that until about a year ago
when they added corn and both of mine got watery eyes and Desi was vomiting.

Desi...I got him when Dolly was 17 months old; he was on RC Babydog, RC Puppy
and then at 4 months was put on the RC Chihuahua.  He has never had his anal
glands expressed.

About a year ago when they both got sick from the RC Chihuahua, I switched
Dolly to Nutro Natural Toy Breed and Desi to Nature's Recipe Toy Breed.  Both
of their poops are quite smaller than they were with the RC Chihuahua, and so
that means that they are getting more nutrition and less of what the body can't
use.  Dolly had to lose a little weight, but I think even before that they were
both more energetic than they were on the RC.

Dolly will be 5 in 2 months and Desi will be 4 in 5 months and the vet told me
when Desi was younger and chewing all the food only on his very back teeth,
that he would need a teeth cleaning soon; but started him on the PetzLife Gel
and neither have bad teeth (so far!)

I have heard of dogs eating supermarket food and living long; I think each dog
is different; not every dog is allergic to corn; and so we really just do the
best that we can choosing what works best.  I can't put Dolly on food with all
the different fruits and berries because of her colitis, but many dogs thrive
on that kind of food.

That's it from me!