On Wed, 8 May 2024 05:53:38 GMT, Abhishek Kumar <abhis...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> In GTK LAF, the menu mnemonics are always displayed which is different from
>> the native behavior. In native application **(tested with gedit**), the menu
>> mnemonics toggle on press of `ALT` key. Menu mnemonics are hidden initially
>> and then toggles between show/hide on `ALT` press.
>> Proposed fix is to handle the `ALT` key press for GTK LAF and mimic the
>> native behavior. Fix is similar to the `ALT` key processing in  Windows LAF.
>> Automated test case is added to verify the fix and tested in Ubuntu and
>> Oracle linux.
>>
>> CI testing is green and link attached in JBS.
>
> Abhishek Kumar has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Var moved to local scope

src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/plaf/synth/SynthLookAndFeel.java
line 668:

> 666:         KeyboardFocusManager.getCurrentKeyboardFocusManager().
> 667:             addPropertyChangeListener(_handler);
> 668:         if (UIManager.getLookAndFeel().getName().contains("GTK")) {

This doesn't seem like an ideal way of doing this.
I don't see any precedent for this approach in the Swing implementation.

We need some method that is more about the properties of a L&F rather than
keying off name.

Please look around at LookAndFeel and UIDefaults (etc) for a place you could
store a property that tells you what to do.
Or perhaps you this "altProcessor" would be the value you retrieve and if it is
non-null you install it.
Or perhaps this should be pushed down to the GTK L&F

I don't know what the right answer is, I just don't think this approach is it.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18992#discussion_r1595782003