I.ve managed to keep mine healthy also, though if not used it can go off,
particularly in the hot water tank.
Based on his many years' experience, my Dad advised a beginning of season
flush (shock I guess)  through the tank, all pumps and fittings with  a
high concentration of bleach/water, then rinse/refill with clean water.   I
will add approx 1 tbsp or so of bleach to the full 113l tank if it's going
to sit.   (I wrote the exact amount on the tank.)    the HW tank may start
to go off if I've not used the boat enough, in which case I drain and
repeat the process.     Seems to work fine.  Have shared this with others
who've struggled to keep their water fresh with similar results.

When cruising (12 days max so far, always in midsummer heat)  I fill not
only the tank, but also several 1.5l water bottles.   I freeze those at
home and stack in the bottom of the fridge to the extent that space
permits.  I thaw these one at a time as they get used.    cooking, coffee,
tooth-brushing etc is done with the tank water,  and drinking from cold
bottled water.   If I refill the tank mid-cruise, I also refill the
bottles.   If the boat hasn't been sitting idle for weeks I am comfortable
with the tank water though I'll likely get a filter at some point.

Dave 33-2