Thanks for all the feedback.  You guys always have great thoughts!

I thought of a third option but not sure if it helps.  I could possibly swap
the other starboard cabin top winch for a self-tailer and reroute the main
halyard.  I think I have more room there to mount it there, but will have to
measure when I get a chance.

As to why do this- I agree that it is not a critical upgrade and don’t want to
make it into a big project.  I can raise the main as others indicate.  There
are two situations where I think it would make things easier.  First, there are
times when I think I get the halyard tight enough, but later realize while
sailing that it is too slack.  It would be much easier to keep it on the
self-tailing winch and tweak than without having to tail at the same time when
it requires a lot of force.  Second, in several single-handed races with high
winds, I have sailed the upwind leg with reefed main and then had a long
downwind leg where I would have liked to shake out the reef and then re-reef
for the next upwind leg.  That would be much easier to do with the halyard
already in the self-tailer.

Charlie- Thanks for the info on number of threads to hold a bolt in place. I
wondered if that information existed and now I know.  I am still thinking
aluminum over starboard for strength but will investigate further.  I also
agree with Ted’s point that this mounting would not require a second person to
hold the nut if it need to be removed.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT

> On Mar 11, 2023, at 6:36 PM, Ted Drossos <replus...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I did a similar winch installation on my previous C&C 29-2. I mounted Barient
> ST24 winches in place of the existing Barient 18's. Instead of using and
> aluminum adapter, the ones I fabricated were made from 1/4" thick stainless
> steel. I was concerned that tapping the aluminum would not be strong enough.
> The new winches were primary winches and they would see higher loads than a
> halyard winch would. A nice advantage was being able to remove the winches
> for servicing without having another person hold the bolt head as I loosened
> the nut from under the deck.
>
> Ted Drossos
> C&C 110
> Lady in Red