Hi John,

Why did your yard want to cut the shaft to install the PYI shaft seal? That
doesn't make any sense to me. It might be hard to get the coupling off but
if that is the case then you can cut off the coupling leaving the shaft
reusable (be sure to cut the coupler where the key is located in the shaft
so you don't cut into the shaft itself) and then you just need have a new
coupling machined to fit your shaft. I put a PYI on my C&C 34 and am very
happy with the results!  Not sure on the 36 but on my 34 the shaft is
offset so it fits past the rudder without pulling the rudder - I don't even
need to remove the folding prop off the shaft. PYI does recommend replacing
the bellows every 5 years and I am due for that so it is on the agenda for
this year.  It also does need some adjustment initially to get the
compression right but once that is set, I didn't need to touch it for 5
years (until 3 of my engine mounts failed this summer - engine shifted
forward when in gear and resulted in water coming in while motoring but
that wasn't really the PYI's fault.

Nathan
S/V Wisper
1981 C&C 34 KCB