According me the sms or email solution is not ok for this reason:

When I steal the phone, the first thing that I will do is to turn off the phone. Then because I am afraid to be detected by cell I will change the internal sim, before to turn on it.

So: we need something that periodically send to a server well known, some info, crypted. The data trasmitted will be very little, only sim number/serial, gps position. The server had to store it for a week, and to show to the owner of the phone: it can be useful to show the position to Google maps (I don't think it will be a problem with google api).

It can be also implemented the function, that if the server send an alarm to the phone, it start an emergency upload of contact list and messages, to recover at least the phonebook and the sms.

Sean Anderson wrote:
I think the original idea was a sensible one, but I doubt many would be
willing to risk losing all their data for the rare situation where it
would be a security advantage.

I think there is something to be said for nifty GPS features. I've lost
my phone... why not SMS it and ask it to email me its location? :)

Security-wise, however, it's a patchy strategy despite how cool it
sounds. It isn't going to stop the physical phone being stolen, but to
what extent can the Moko be encrypted to protect your data?

Sean.