On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 02:59:24PM +0200, Harijs Buss wrote:
> I have all the time this strange feeling that Mandrake could do even much
> better with such a minimum of CRM efforts... Hope it will happen soon ;-)

CRM == Customer Relationship Management???

I don't know if that is such an important matter, compared to some other
problems Mandrake has (not talking about the financial matters, even)

I think your analysis about the confusion in terminology and functionality
in Mandrake is quite accurate (unfortunately). It is such a shame that MDK
doesn't have the financial resources yet (I assume) to hire some experienced
software quality management people to guide the well meant efforts of the
internal and external developers to be more efficient in reaching a well
oiled distribution making team. (I'm not implying that I know better, I just
know enough to notice the lack of oil and lack of clear priorities.)

For me I'd say these were the priorities I'd like to see:

- work on almost any hardware or say it won't work during install. (I'm not
talking about LG's faults)
- Consistent configuration and hardware management tools
- have one well tested desktop management system (KDE) that doesn't show any
obvious flaws noticable by average users
- make sure basic applications are thoroughly tested for quality, stability
and performance
- security updates and installation sources are stable

Everything else is of course very important too, but when the basics are
more stable, the whole system is more tolerant for whatever else gets
installed.

[/rant]  ;-)

Simon