Le mar 25/02/2003 à 14:47, Greg Meyer a écrit :

> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 08:47 am, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > Which is exactly why I said localhost.localdomain *must not* be
> > hardcoded into /etc/hosts.
> >
> > The question is, when should `hostname` get an entry in /etc/hosts
> > pointing to the loopback? In a decent network (with dhcp and dns), it is
> > not necessary, and could possibly break things?
> >
> > Without DHCP/DNS, localhost.local should work (with zeroconf).
> >
> > Maybe the best thing is to not set the hostname to localhost.localdomain
> > by default, but rather to localhost (or insist the user set a hostname),
> > and let zeroconf do its thing.
>
> Well whatever the solution is, GNOME won't start without error until I hard
> code localhost.localdomain  into /etc/hosts.
>
> This behavior has existed for as long as I can remember.  I install mandrake,
> start up GNOME, get the error, say to myself, "Oh yeah, forgot about that,"
> log out, change /etc/hosts, log in and all is hunky dory.
>
> Here is what the line looks like from my /etc/hosts file.
>
> 127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost
> - --

Yes, this is what i mean.
I understand that i cannot be hardcoded abruptly.
But as many users will choose gnome, some of them, e.g. those like me
without any domain name, will have this error message. I figure last
time (9.0), the had been many complaints about gnome been so long to
start ...

This needs a fix.
If no network name is defined, the localhost.localdomain must be present
in order to fix the error message and connection into gnome.

Stef

Linux 2.4.19-16mdk #1 Fri Sep 20 18:15:05 CEST 2002
11:00am up 46 days, 22:52, 4 users, load average: 1.59, 1.49, 1.21