On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:14 am, Jaco Greeff wrote:
> On 06 Mar 2003 14:49:27 +0100, Teletchéa Stéphane
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
> > > I think these entries are missing in /etc/hosts :
> > > localhost.localdomain.
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Unless this line, gnome fails to load correctly.
> > >
> > > I did a fresh install everytime, so it is missing in the install
> > > process ...
> >
> > Problem solved in rc2 !!!
>
> Is the GNOME problem fixed or do the entries appear in /etc/hosts. In my
> experience on RC2 as soon as you go through the DrakConnect dialogs,
> (DHCP machine) the /etc/hosts file gets rewritten as "127.0.0.1 localhost",
> the entry is not there.

The entry is not there before you run drakconeect either, but somehow (TMDNS
perhaps) GNOME is able to resolve the local host on a clean istall when you
don't touch the netowrk settings.  Running drakconnect breaks localhost
resolution for GNOME.  From what I understand, editing /etc/hosts and adding
locvalhost.localdomain is not a fix for the bug, but a hack to make it work,
although I have not seen anybody propse a different solution (I don't even
know if there is agreement on what the problem is) and I have looked very
exhaustively for the source of the problem with no luck (or perhaps with no
skill).

--
Greg