On Friday 07 March 2003 09:02 am, Buchan Milne wrote:

> > It seems to me there should also be an entry in dhclient-eth0.conf to
>
> tell the
>
> > dhcp client to send the requested hostname.
>
> No need:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# grep -i hostname
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=bgmilne-thinkpad
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# cat /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
> send host-name "bgmilne-thinkpad";  # temporary ifup addition
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> (changed to bgmilne-tp)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# service network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:                                   [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                               [  OK  ]
> Setting network parameters:                                     [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                                 [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:                                     [  OK  ]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# grep -i hostname
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=bgmilne-tp
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# cat /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
> send host-name "bgmilne-tp";  # temporary ifup addition
>
> The scripts fdo it for you.

Thanks for clarifying that

> Now I just need to see why our dhcp server isn't updating dns ...
>
> You will notice:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# hostname
> localhost
>
> hostname is not set, whereas I want it to be what I get from dhcp ...

And I want my dhcp server to take the hostname I provide and update its dhcp
table, which it does for my 9.0 and Windows boxes.

> >>This bug screws up the winbind setup (thankfully we do not yet advertise
> >>the ability for a non-domain-admin to join a machine to the domain, but
> >>it worked in 9.0, see
> >>http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Wi
> >>nd ows%20Networks.tar.gz )
> >
> > I know and it works(worked?) great.  I really enjoyed having my 9.0
>
> machines
>
> > use my NT domain for authentication right from teh instalation.
>
> Any chance of testing this? Do you have an NT DC, or win2k? I have been
> struggling to get my win2k installation to play along (took me about 4
> hours to figure out why it did not like my keyboad and mouse anymore,
> but the win2k installation didn't have a problem with it).

Unfortunately, I will not be in a position to test this until Monday.  Is that
too late?  Can anybody else do it?  It *may* be possible for me to get an NT
pdc set up at home over the weekend to do a test, but I cannot guarantee it.
It would be a lot easier to just do a workstation install Monday morning at
work, if that won't be too late.
--
Greg