On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:17:13 GMT, Weijun Wang <wei...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Bill Huang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Implemented review comments.
>
> I have a question, why must this test be manual? Can't we compare the
> localized texts?

Hi @wangweij, I have a discussion with @naotoj about automating this test. Here
is a summary.

1. We can't hard code localized texts into the test and compare to the
localized message form the tool. The main reason is mentioned above by @naotoj.
Another reason is that localization sometimes may come in slightly different,
correctness of translation is not the goal of this test.

2. We can't do a word-to-word comparison. But even so, we can't rely on the
same resource bundle used by the tools for localization validation. It provokes
a risk that test may fail to detect any localization error in the tool as they
use the same mechanism.

3. It makes a bit more sense for this test being a manual test because it
matches the look-and-feel criteria. With someone looking into the result, at
least it can raise a flag if something doesn’t look right. And only engineers
can do this.