On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 16:02:40 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this long-awaited change to documentation inheritance.
>>
>> This change improves "methods comment algorithm" and introduces directed
>> documentation inheritance. While "methods comment algorithm" -- automatic
>> search for inheritable documentation -- has been improved, it still cannot
>> read an author's mind so as to always find the documentation they intended.
>> From now on, an author can state their intention, by providing an FQN of the
>> superclass or superinterface from which to inherit documentation:
>>
>> ​{@inheritDoc S}
>>
>> Which is exactly what I did to counterbalance some of the JDK API
>> Documentation changes caused by the change to "methods comment algorithm".
>
> Pavel Rappo has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   feedback: make warning less scary

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testDirectedInheritance/TestDirectedInheritance.java
 line 75:

> 73:         // code is OK, it likely isn't (after all, there's an unknown
> tag).
> 74:         setAutomaticCheckNoStacktrace(true);
> 75:         { // DocLint is on

"on" -> "explicit"

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testDirectedInheritance/TestDirectedInheritance.java
 line 85:

> 83:             }
> 84:         }
> 85:         // DocLint is off

"off" -> "default"

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testDirectedInheritance/TestDirectedInheritance.java
 line 289:

> 287:
> 288:     /*
> 289:      * C1.m inherits documentation from B1.m explicitly and undirect.

possible typo: do you mean "indirect"

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testDirectedInheritance/TestDirectedInheritance.java
 line 673:

> 671:      *
> 672:      * For now a warning is issued if a doc comment inherits from
> 673:      * an indirect supertype.

Not sure I agree with this. Can we discuss?

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testMethodCommentAlgorithm/TestMethodCommentsAlgorithm.java
 line 61:

> 59: import toolbox.ToolBox;
> 60:
> 61: /*

Great description! :-)

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testMethodCommentAlgorithm/TestMethodCommentsAlgorithm.java
 line 111:

> 109:  *    built.
> 110:  */
> 111: public class TestMethodCommentsAlgorithm extends JavadocTester {

General comment for entire class:  great/clever test!

test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testMethodCommentAlgorithm/TestMethodCommentsAlgorithm.java
 line 273:

> 271:             }
> 272:         }
> 273:         System.err.println("Test suite root: " + p);

You might want to use `JavadocTester.out` instead of `System.err`

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1222117577
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1222117867
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1222119420
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1222122630