On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 20:48:58 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/doclet/testDirectedInheritance/TestDirectedInheritance.java
>>  line 673:
>>
>>> 671:      *
>>> 672:      * For now a warning is issued if a doc comment inherits from
>>> 673:      * an indirect supertype.
>>
>> Not sure I agree with this. Can we discuss?
>
> Sure we can; this relates to an earlier comment of yours on
> Utils.isDirectSupertype here:
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1222053011

The general criticism here is whether we should restrict in any way the set of
super types from which one can inherit documentation, and/or what should the
set of checks be?

For example, if a method in C inherits a method in B that has no comment but
which inherits a method with a comment in A, then it seems unduly restrictive
to stop the method in C explicitly referencing the method in A, as compared to
only allowing a reference to B, which implicitly gets its comment from A.

That being said, there is merit in starting off with restrictions and loosening
them in the face of experience, rather than trying to increase the stylistic
restrictions later.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1222202085