On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:38:29 GMT, Jan Lahoda <jlah...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This is an implementation of JEP JDK-8315129: Module Import Declarations
>> (Preview). Please see the JEP for details:
>> https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8315129
>>
>> It is mostly straightforward - the module imports are parsed, and then
>> expanded to import-on-demand in `TypeEnter`.
>> There is a few notable aspects, however:
>> - the AST node for import (`JCImport`) is holding the imported element as a
>> field access, because so far, the imported element always had to have a '.'
>> (even for import-on-demand). But for module imports, it is permissible to
>> import from a module whose name does not have a dot (`import module m;`).
>> The use of field access for ordinary import seems very useful, so I
>> preferred to keep that, and created a new internal-only AST node for module
>> imports. There is still only one public API AST node/interface, so this is
>> purely an implementation choice.
>> - JShell now supports module imports as well; and the default, implicit,
>> script is changed to use it to import all of `java.base` if preview is
>> enabled. It is expected that the default would be changed if/when the module
>> imports feature is finalized.
>
> Jan Lahoda has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Adding more tests for ambiguities.

src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/resources/compiler.properties
 line 3553:

> 3551: # 0: symbol
> 3552: compiler.err.import.module.does.not.read=\
> 3553:     current modules does not read: {0}

Suggestion:

    current module does not read: {0}

It would even be better to print the name of the "current" module, so that the
user-facing message reads:
`current module foo does not read module bar - possible fix: add "requires
bar;" to foo's module descriptor `

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18614#discussion_r1559074245