nico, it was not so much a matter of me jumping on the bandwagon, as
my reluctance to get involved in another never-ending discussion over
retiring a platform that nobody uses or cares about.

But let's keep it simple. I think it's clear that the effort to
maintain the Quark is > 0. The number of users is zero. The effort per
user, depending on what you get when you divide a number by zero, is
"high" :-)

But there's a bigger issue here. If I have a board, which ran coreboot
at some time, which version of coreboot do I use? In many cases, the
working version of coreboot will not be master. That is true for
chromebooks in many cases, which is why Google maintains a fork for
each chromebook, once it is known to work. If you've been doing this
for long enough, you've experienced building a mainboard at tip of
tree and having it not work; then finding an older commit for which
the board does work.

This discussion has led me to believe that we should change how we
name branches. People get upset that boards are not in master. Should
we get rid of the entire idea of a master branch which works for all
boards, since that is not quite true anyway? Or is the problem that
people don't want to see a name lost to memory (I understand that)?
Can we maintain a record of boards, along with the last working
commit?

In other words, builds != boots. But we continue to act as though
boards that build will also boot. This is known not to be true.

The issue is not whether my board is in master. The issue is, what's
the last known commit in coreboot for which a board was tested and
known to work?

So we would no longer deprecate boards, or drop them, or do whatever
gets people upset. We would have a way to know, for any given board,
which commit to check out to build it. The list of boards would grow
over time, and it would be easy to checkout a board and build it.
Boards would not be lost to memory.

We could acknowledge this reality by naming master to tip, or some
similar name, which is less likely to get people upset.

This was my original goal for the mainboards status page, but we never
got there. Maybe it's time to bring that to life.