-Caveat Lector-

nurev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Das GOAT wrote:
> >
> >  -Caveat Lector-
> >
> > "Christianity is a fine religion.  A shame Christians have never PRACTICED
> > it."
>
> Christianity is impossible to practice as advertised. This is a
> problem for
> Christians and everyone else who lives with them on this planet.
>
> A more reality based religion would have served Christians better.
>
> Joshua2

A lot of the problem is that the New Testament doesn't contain anything like a
complete set of instructions for being a Christian. It contains a hodge-podge
of notes, memoirs, and letters, not to mention a totally confused book of
religious science fiction. The Gospels are artificial constructs, based partly
on a collection of the sayings of Jesus and partly on much later liturgy. The
letters of Paul and the others deal for the most part with very specific
problems at very specific times and places, and are only marginally relevant
to the present day. The real core of the teachings appears, from hints in
patristic writings, to have been passed *orally* to catechists; this secret
teaching died out during the persecutions or was subtly altered to fit the new
political reality as the underground movement became a church and then *the*
Church. Now, with that said, the New Testament is still a deep, vibrant,
challenging source of inspiration and wisdom. I honestly find something new in
it each time I read it. But it just isn't an operating manual, and you will
make a very great mistake if you try to turn it into one.

Bob

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For

more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND
UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS.
RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.

http://webmail.netscape.com.