Hi Alain,

>  > No. Work had been started on porting for such a FOSS version but the
>  > lack of experienced C++/GUI programmers pretty much stalled progress
>  > (only one person has been able to contribute the lion's share of the
>  > effort). The amount of work to port the C++ Windows GUI code from MFC
>  > and XtremeToolKit has been daunting.
>
> I understand that porting CB to a new, less restrictive, toolkit is an
> awful lot of work. But maybe you might consider opening up the source
> code first (under a well-chosen license), so that more people can come
> and hopefully contribute?

It's a project success thing.

It's well established that an open source code base that's not sufficiently
functional when introduced to the public will fail to take flight. So
the strategy has been to get it to that state before releasing it to
the work. Anybody who would like to contribute can take part. We haven't
turned away any programmers that are interested in contributing to the
port. They only need to ask.

What I want to avoid is to just toss it out there for other "competitive"
projects to pick its bones clean and not giving its success a fair chance.

 > Of course it'll be rather difficult to work on the program if some
 > libraries aren't available (no way to build the executable itself) - but
 > getting a first grasp of the program structure might attract would-be
 > contributors.

Currently there is one major contributor to the port (Bill Wsu) who is a
very experienced C/C++ programmer. He has carried the ball and has
reached a point where CBDesign can load, edit and save CB Gameboxes from
version 3.01 and back. (I'm guessing at the version.) If Bill would like
to share it as a teaser he can (Bill Su?). I don't want to distract
him from making more progress so I'll leave it up to him. Of course
current CBFoss developers are free--and encouraged--to build it for
themselves.

Dale

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional