On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:37:25PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > My reverse DNS does not match my forward DNS.  I have @home.  Only
>
> They don't need to "match".  Your IP just needs to resolve to something, and
> that something needs to resolve back to your IP.  This has no effect on what
> From: addresses and envelope senders you can use.

Miquel van Smoorenburg and others seem to think that they do need to
match.  if you connect to my IP, you will see that neither 24.22.127.210
nor cc659474-a.indnpls1.in.home.com appear in the greeting.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ host 24.22.127.210
> Name: cc659474-a.indnpls1.in.home.com
> Address: 24.22.127.210
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ host cc659474-a.indnpls1.in.home.com
> cc659474-a.indnpls1.in.home.com A       24.22.127.210
>
> There is no reason your mail shouldn't work properly with these settings
> (apart from being listed on the DUL).  If you'd like, I'll add you a line in
> my access control to allow you to relay through my server.  I'm sure there
> are many other people on this list who would offer the same.

I do not appear to be listed with the DUL, so far as I know.  A couple of
hosts seem to reject 24.* or something, but I'm not overly worried about
them.  I _AM_ worried about people who want to make it worse by adding
additional arbitrary requirements before they accept mail related to
Debian.

It's somewhat amusing that the blacklist people seem to have blacklisted
eachother, though.

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>               GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3

"Pacific Bell Customer Service, this is [..], how can I provide you with
excellent customer service today?"
"HAHAHAHAHA!!  That's good, I like it.."
"Um, thanks, they make us say that."
        -- knghtbrd and a pacbell rep, name removed to protect her job