On 20 April 2013 12:37, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:

> I came across this on Planet Debian
>
> http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog//posts/lack_of_cooperation_from_ubuntu/
>
> I'm guessing that Ubuntu may not have pushed the changes to sid because
> of the freeze, that may well be the answer to Rogério's questions.

That is mostly correct. The other part is that packages & fixes not
suitable for sid/wheezy were not applied & uploaded to experimental as
aggressively as Ubuntu pace would want.

I also posted on Debian Planet, how to find patches applied in Ubuntu
via Debian PTS together with categories of useful fixes that are
relevant to Jessie and may be already solved/patched in Ubuntu. [1]

I perceived that blog post as a partial personal stab at me, by the
way. Which I found unjust.

> Nonetheless, with derivatives and Debian itself having different release
> cycles, and wearing my upstream developer hat, I can't help wondering:
> how can upstreams ensure that the freshest versions of their package
> propagate to the derivatives without duplicating effort?
>
> For example, to respect the Debian release process, I've avoided
> uploading the latest versions of my packages to sid, so it appears that
> newer versions of those packages missed the boat when Ubuntu started
> their freeze.  This means that both Debian and Ubuntu will release with
> versions of the packages that are old and don't have the latest bug
> fixes and/or any manual effort to work around that takes away time that
> could be spent on more bug fixes or features.

You can look at glibc, gcc, python which all got packages in Debian
VCS and/or uploaded into Ubuntu from Debian VCS or sycned/merged from
Debian Experimental uploads.
These workflows can be done, but require cooperation and are not
automatic (e.g. sync-from-experimental is always manual and not
automatic as e.g. syncing from sid or testing).

Ideally, i'd like to see debian to branch or use t-p-u, such that sid
can continue accepting new uploads and not freeze. E.g. something
similar to how fedora operates. I vaguely recall that something like
that has been proposed to debian in the past, and didn't get much
traction, since developers can get distracted by continious uploads
instead of working on releasing the frozen part of the archive.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

[1]
http://blog.surgut.co.uk/2013/04/ftbfs-fixes-and-other-patches-available.html