Hi Paul,

I thought subject of my mail made my question clear:

  How to reconfigure debconf from postinst of another package?

Quoting Paul Wise (2014-04-18 04:02:47)
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>   * package foo-player
>>     + supports both JackD and PulseAudio, but only one
>>     + asks which method to use via debconf
>>   * package bar-studio-desktop
>>     + depends on xfce4, jackd2 and foo-player
>>     + conflicts against bar-office-desktop
>>     + postinst script asks foo-player to use JackD
>>   * package bar-office-desktop
>>     + depends on xfce4, pulseaudio and foo-player
>>     + conflicts against bar-studio-desktop
>>     + postinst script asks foo-player to use PulseAudio.
>
> In this particular case I think foo-player should detect at when it is
> started what audio system to use and offer a choice if both are
> running, anything else isn't a good idea IMO.

Thanks, but (again) I am sorry if it was not clear: The *question* is
about *debconf* irregardless of the *example* involving other details.

Here's another example raising same question without involving audio:

  * package adduser
    + asks if home directories should be system-readable
  * package foo-hippie-desktop
    + depends on adduser
    + conflicts against foo-paranoid-desktop
    + postinst script asks adduser to make homedirs system-readable
  * package foo-paranoid-desktop
    + depends on adduser
    + conflicts against foo-hippie-desktop
    + postinst script asks adduser to not make homedirs system-readable

NB! above is again just an *example* meant to illustrate need for
programmatically changing debconf from another package.  I have no
interest in "solutions" that bypass debconf (unless you seriously mean
to say that debconf is unusable for automated reconfiguration).

Here is my question again:

  How to reconfigure debconf from postinst of another package?

 - Jonas