On 18/04/2014 12:43, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I thought subject of my mail made my question clear:
>
>   How to reconfigure debconf from postinst of another package?

My opinion is that this is not allowed (but I did not checked explicitly
in Policy, so I may be wrong).
  Calling reconfigure is a matter of changing the configuration of another
package. If I recall correctly, it is not allowed for a package to modify
the configuration of another package unless the second package provides
explicit features (dir.d, hooks, ...)
  Moreover, debconf is not a registry. So, even if their is something
in debconf, it does not mean that the admin did not modify the real
configuration file.
  Note that, if, as an admin, I explicitly choose an option in debconf
and then, latter, another package overwrite my choice (or even reprompt
me with another choice by default), it won't please me at all.

  So, perhaps, you should look at and evaluate the other propositions
made by other people...

> NB! above is again just an *example* meant to illustrate need for
> programmatically changing debconf from another package.  I have no
> interest in "solutions" that bypass debconf (unless you seriously mean
> to say that debconf is unusable for automated reconfiguration).

I think so. My opinion is based on policy that says that a package must not
mess with the configuration files of other packages. If configuration must
be shared with debconf, then use such debconf feature (as xdm, gdm,
kdm, ... did for choose the default dm : they do not call each other
configure script when the default dm is changed)

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanj...@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA