previously on this list Steve Langasek contributed:

> Yes.  This has been the case for su in Debian since 1999, and to do
> otherwise would break a variety of configurations where session setup is
> required in order for, e.g., the su process to have access to the files of
> the target user.

It seems to me that someone needlessly? dropped the ball in 1999 then
and this should have perhaps been a new flag or added to -l where PAM
is in use, as it fundamentally changes the behaviour contrary to the
varying titles of su.

Now done of course and for so long I wouldn't know what the fallout to
debian and other things would be and so the best way to fix this bug
today at all. I do know that I would much prefer if a script in rc.local
that uses su to drop priviledges and maybe even then sudo to re-gain
one or two worked on all unix-like systems and without having to deal
with debians overly complex scripts in comparison to bsd or create a
systemd unit (I think it's clear I wouldn't). However as I don't use
polkit and use sudo to handle my suspending and shutdowns I think I
probably could without issue anyway?

Not being a PAM fan but only locking it down a little on systems with
it. I can't say I fully understand the weight of grounds with which
"must not" was stated though.

I hope I don't get flamed as I am not enjoying or intentionally bashing
these things for any political reason and I'm actually rather busy. I
simply strive for what I see as simpler and better alternatives in ease
of use/config and lack of exploits and don't believe I should have to
hide anything.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)