At Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:03:02 +0100,
Enrico Zini wrote:
> now we have extensions disabled in Chromium by default. If I did my
> homeworks correctly, that prevents Chromium from phoning home by
> default, and prevents a previous scenario where extensions could be
> installed but not upgraded, becoming security issues over time.
>
> Now, suppose I need an extension, what is the proper way to have it in
> Debian, so that it gets upgraded when needed? With that proper way, what
> amount of phoning home is going to happen?
>
> Since this looks like it's going to be a major issue with stretch, can I
> have some authoritative wiki page / FAQ entry that tells me how I can
> deal with it cleanly, and that I can easily send to confused people?

If we already know this is going to be major issue, why aren't we
doing the sensible thing and enable extensions by default instead of
disabling it and then having to explain again and again how to enable
it because the majority of our users will at least want to use an
adblocker?

And browsing the web without any extensions is probably a way bigger
privacy invasion than the phoning home the extension system does, so
disabling it by default seems to be just privacy theater to me.
(I.e. it's a inconvenient measure that gives a feeling that Debian
does something for privacy but in practice doesn't really do much to
achieve that, similar to security theater)

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers