On Sun, 2022-11-06 at 13:58 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:

>  Q1:  When dpkg will support zstd compression?

reportbug says this is #892664, please review it for the status.

>  Q2:  More default hardening options? (See
> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/03/21/compiler-and-linker-flags-gcc )

Latest hardening thread appears to be here:

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20221025143425.gj27...@mail.wookware.org

#1020275 against dpkg seems to be relevant here too.

>  Q3:  Does OpenSSH9.1p go into bookworm?
>  Q4:  Will Ruby3.2 go into bookworm?
>  Q5:  Will PHP8.2 go into bookworm?
>  Q6:  Will Rust1.65 go into bookworm?
>  Q7:  Will python3.11 be default in bookworm?

These sound like questions for the respective teams.

reportbug says that:

OpenSSH 9.1 new upstream bug is #1021585.

Ruby 3.1 transition bug is #1023495, none for 3.2 yet.

PHP 8.2 transition bug is #1014460.

Rust 1.63 new upstream bug is #1018859, none for 1.65 yet.

Python 3.11 transition bug is #1021984.

>  And, some upstream major version will be released during Debian's
>  release freeze. Well, how we can save those "missed release train"
>  releases? Just "ignore and wait 2 years" is easy to say, but if we
>  can introduce those in point releases with "predictable" schedule,
>  it would be better, IMHO.

The release team does not allow new upstream releases in stable, unless
they are solely stability/security fixes without behaviour changes.

>  * KDE Plasma: 5.27 - 2023-02?
>  * GNOME     : 44   - 2023-03
>  * etc...

So the only option for these would be to delay the freeze dates until
these major versions are in Debian testing. If the dates are delayed,
then some other major version will be nearby, we could delay for that
too and then another and so on, eventually we will never release,
which means that Debian becomes a solely rolling distro ;D

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise