If there's a well-supported social or technical reason to remove the
i386 Debian installer, I think that it would still be disappointing,
but acceptable.

I don't know what those reasons are yet (I've imagined that they could
be maintainer burden -- but as mentioned, I don't think there's much
compiled-binary or i386-specific support required within d-i itself;
key packages etc yes, but the installer itself, I'm less sure), and I
still think that the strongest indicator of usage would probably be
download statistics for i386 ISO images (in other words: are many
people still requesting them?).

Looking ahead, I think it would be good to try to figure out ways to
avoid some of the frustrations caused by technological platform
shifts.  Yes, we probably learned some things collectively during each
of those transitions, but also, the 40-year-or-so old computer that I
have on a side table could be used for word processing, creating
shopping lists, and probably saving and searching fairly large lists
of food recipes (some of the tasks that I now use a much more powerful
laptop for).

The economic impact can either be phrased as an opportunity (hardware,
software sales) and/or as a burden (finding new equipment, discovering
incompatibilities, re-learning how to perform similar tasks using
different systems.  how much the vendor cares can also make a
difference with each of these).  Some amount of diversity in systems
allows for comparison and improvement (maybe one design team -- or
even one designer -- found a technique that applies to their system
that makes it much more efficient at some workloads; that discovery
can then be shared and adapted by others).

The argument that people can still install manually using debootstrap
or other methods is kinda fine - although in the same way that I like
to refactor code so that there are fewer 'if' conditions and
workarounds for particular situations (and to work towards removing
those if conditions by fixing adjacent/surrounding components and then
gradually updating when possible), we should be aware that there are
communication (users, documentation) and comprehension (keeping
per-architecture limitations in mind) overheads when creating
additional tiers/partitions of support and functionality.

So in summary: probably fine, some i386 ISO download stats would be
nice, and is there a particular key package or packages that are
causing problems here?