Simon Richter <s...@debian.org> writes:

> And yes, it is quicker for me to copy another printcap entry and swap
> out the host name than it is to find out how to authenticate to CUPS,
> set up the printer, print a test page then remove and recreate it
> because the generated "short" name I need to pipe data into lpr isn't
> short. I will definitely be looking into rlpr.

Since I wrote my original message, I noticed that rlpr is orphaned.  I no
longer work in an office and print things about once a year, so I no
longer use the package, but it was a lifesaver when I was working in an
office regularly and I do recommend it.  If anyone else who still prints
regularly prefers the simple command-line interface, you may want to
consider adopting it, although it looks like you're likely to have to
adopt upstream as well since it seems to have disappeared.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>