On Mon, 2023-09-25 at 12:08 +0900, Simon Richter wrote:

> What I'd like to see is something like
>      No installed packages are looking for a new maintainer.

That is what how-can-i-help does, except it doesn't print anything when
there have been no changes to the status of packages on the system, nor
when there are no packages installed that are known to need helpers.

> And ideally, that check would be quick and use information already on
> the system at this point, maybe a supplemental file under indices/ that
> can be downloaded during an update.

The problem with that approach is that the help needed information
changes independently to packages, so the information will get very out
of date in between point releases, which is why how-can-i-help does
online checks. If desired, it would be easy to have an apt update hook
that would download the data from UDD so that how-can-i-help can work
offline when the network is available.

The main problem with how-can-i-help currently is that the maintainer
is not currently active in Debian and no-one else is working on it.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise