On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 10:38:13AM +0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:
Per-architecture dependencies are possible though, so maybe starting
to add the libssl dependency only on amd64 is a good starting point,
and then users of other architectures can request to be added too if
it is beneficial for them.

I haven't seen any objections to the basic idea, so I'm starting here: coreutils 9.4-2 will link to libcrypto if there's a gpl-compatible version available at build time, but I've added the build-dependency as linux-amd64 only for now. That should make it fairly straightforward for people to control the linking on other architectures by controlling their build environment. Going forward, depending on feedback, I can roll this back, expand the build-dep, and/or make the configure option also depend on the arch.