On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 12:46:24AM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 12:26:17PM -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> > Are there instructions on how to progress an unstable system through
> > this, or is the repo currently in a known inconsistent state?  I have
> > tried upgrading various packages to work through deps but I am unable
> > to do a dist-upgrade for a while.
> Being unable to do a dist-upgrade is expected and some packages can't be
> installed or can't be upgraded, but in general on amd64 you should be able
> to upgrade a majority of them with `apt upgrade` and then manual
> installing/upgrading, if you wish so (as in theory most libfoo0t64 are
> drop-in replacements for libfoo0, but in practice some packages have
> additional abi deps for their plugins etc., plus the usual amd64-i386
> skews, plus some unique problems in some packages).
> Also debootstrapping sid is broken, or may be broken from time to time.
> Install testing instead if that's good enough.

Aside from the libuuid1t64 revert, for which binNMUs have been scheduled, I
actually would expect unstable to be dist-upgradeable on non-32-bit archs:
either the existing non-t64 library will be kept installed because nothing
yet needs the t64 version, or something does want the t64 version and apt
will accept it as a replacement for the non-t64 version because it Provides:
the non-t64 name.

So once the libuuidt64 revert is done (later today?), if apt dist-upgrade is
NOT working, I think we should want to see some apt output showing what's
not working.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org