Simon Josefsson <si...@josefsson.org> writes:
> Sean Whitton <spwhit...@spwhitton.name> writes:

>> We did some analysis on the SHA1 vulnerabilities and determined that
>> they did not meaningfully affect dgit & tag2upload's design.

> Can you share that analysis?  As far as I understand, it is possible for
> a malicious actor to create a git repository with the same commit id as
> HEAD, with different historic commits and tree content.  I thought a
> signed tag is merely a signed reference to a particular commit id.  If
> that commit id is a SHA1 reference, that opens up for ambiguity given
> recent (well, 2019) results on SHA1.  Of course, I may be wrong in any
> of the chain, so would appreciate explanation of how this doesn't work.

I believe you're talking about two different things.  I think Sean is
talking about preimage resistance, which assumes that the known-good
repository is trusted, and I believe Simon is talking about manufactured
collisions where the attacker controls both the good and the bad
repository.

The dgit and tag2upload design probably (I'd have to think about it some
more, ideally while bouncing the problem off of someone else, because I've
recycled those brain cells for other things) only needs preimage
resistance, but the general case of a malicious upstream may be vulnerable
to manufactured collisions.

(So far as I know, preimage attacks against *MD5* are still infeasible,
let alone against SHA-1.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>