Am 06.05.24 um 12:35 schrieb Simon Richter:
Hi,

On 5/6/24 17:40, Michael Biebl wrote:

If we go with a/, then I think d-i should be updated to no longer create /tmp as a separate partition.

I think if the admin explicitly configures tmpfs as a separate file system, then that should be honored -- if there is memory pressure, tmpfs+swap is pretty much the worst file system there is.

If you explicitly configure /tmp via /etc/fstab it will override the default tmp.mount that is shipped by systemd.

My point is a different one: If we enable /tmp-on-tmpfs by default, then offering a partition layout in d-i that places /tmp as a physical partition is confusing/inconsistent imho.

Regarding b/:
The current setup as used in Debian is to only clean /tmp on boot (which is pointless with /tmp-on-tmpfs) and never clean up /var/tmp

There is also the tmpreaper package, which does periodic cleanup based on atime. I'd expect that to be installed on a lot of long-running machines, it is certainly installed on mine.

Also if /var/tmp is no longer cleaned on boot, that is a bug.

Afaik, /var/tmp has never been cleaned up on /boot.
So I'm not sure what you mean with "no longer"?

Michael