On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 04:50:50PM +0100, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> > tmpfiles.d snippets can be defined to cleanup on a timer _anything_,
>
> It's a question of what the *default* behaviour should be.
>
> For whatever reason, a lot of people who process large data use
> /var/tmp/FOO/ as a place to store information that should not be
> backed up, but also should not just disappear.
To be honest I'm greatly surprised by this idea, and by the suggestion
that a lot of people do this, to me this is very similar by that half-joke
about people storing useful files in the Recycle Bin.
But I also thought that "/tmp is on tmpfs, /var/tmp isn't, and that's
their main difference" are our defaults for years, when they apparently
aren't (now I understand why people sometimes suggest using /dev/shm or
/run for this or that to increase performance).

--
WBR, wRAR