On Mon, 6 May 2024 at 16:03, Barak A. Pearlmutter <ba...@cs.nuim.ie> wrote:

> If it clones into /tmp the *entire* tree will either be reaped (upon
> reboot) or not.
>
> But having just some files deleted from a git dir or git working dir
> is much more dangerous, because various git commands can treat files
> deleted from the working tree as deliberate changes to be committed,
> and files deleted from the git dir can render it unusable.

It's not really that different, it's a variation of the same problem.
I take it that git doesn't warn when cloning on tmpfs, then, so that's
not an issue.
tmpfiles.d snippets can be defined to cleanup on a timer _anything_,
and have done so for ~15 years. Does git currently parse all installed
tmpfiles.d snippets and warn if cloning on an arbitrary directory
covered by one of them?