On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 10:38:14AM +0200, Carsten Leonhardt wrote:
> Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Defaults are defaults, they are trivially and fully overridable where
> > needed if needed. Especially container and VM managers these days can
> > super trivially override them via SMBIOS Type11 strings or
> > Credentials, ephemerally and without changing the guest image at all.
>
> That argument goes both ways and I prefer safe defaults. What
> you/upstream propose are unsafe defaults, as was shown by several
> comments in this thread. Whoever wants the unsafe defaults of deleting
> old files and risking OOM situations can than "trivially and fully
> override" the safe defaults.

So I've been wondering for a couple of days now, following this thread...
...would it be a good idea to make this a debconf prompt, high priority,
default "yes", so that it is activated on new automatically installed
systems, but people who upgrade their current Debian installations can
choose to keep the old behavior?

I do realize that more debconf prompts are not always desirable, and
such decisions must be taken on a case-by-case basis, so... yeah.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net r...@debian.org pe...@morpheusly.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13