From: Alexandru Mihail <alexandru.mihail2...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2024 07:59
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default
[was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

Maybe putting the cleanup task for /var/tmp on a longer timer and warning users
ahead of time of impending deletion (maybe 3 days before, 2 days, etc) would
help with files of unsuspecting users getting deleted. A log entry could also
be emitted. I could see a gentle warning on ssh login (minimal, one or two
lines) and desktop notification (for desktop only users who never see the
terminal) be helpful. A smarter implementation could perhaps only warn if
dirs/files that are going to be deleted are not systemd generated random items.
This does not fix issues with applications depending on stuff being there long
term; yet again nothing's perfect in software