On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Tony Godshall <t...@of.net> wrote:
> [me]
>>> Perhaps if I could figure out how to grab the dmesg output from
>>> initramfs environment, I could then compare the amd64 kernel
>>> output to the 686-bigmem kernel output... :-/
>
> [martin f krafft]
>> Append 'break=bottom debug' to the kernel line and at the shell do
>> something like
> [http://wiki.debian.org/InitramfsDebug]
>> If that does not work, use a USB stick: plug it in, observe the kernel
>> output, mkdir /mnt, mount the device node there, and write to the flash
>> drive. Remember to umount before pulling out the stick.

[me]
> No luck.  I plugged in a USB stick and now the screen and keyboard are frozen.

Reboot with USB stick plugged in: now I get a long pause immediately
after "md: raid1 personality registered for level 1"

I look in dmesg for a usb-storage device: nothing.  I look for
/dev/sd[a-z]*: nothing

So I can't mount the memory stick to capture dmesg output and I cant
put it to the hard drive.