On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 11:03:27AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bas Wijnen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Package: lintian
> > Version: 1.23.41
> > Severity: normal
> >
> > Lintian checks if files have an rpath set, and warns if they do, unless
> > it is set to /usr/lib/packagename.  This is incorrect for games, they
> > would need it to /usr/lib/games/packagename.
>
> Why?

FHS chapter 4, at the end of the paragraph on "Specific options" in
/usr/share, says:

        Similarly, a /usr/lib/games hierarchy may be used in addition to
        the /usr/share/games hierarchy if the distributor wishes to
        place some game data there.

Neither policy nor developers' reference say anything about this, but I
think most games choose to use both /usr/share/games and /usr/lib/games
for game data.  The good thing about this is that it makes it very easy
to do things to all games at once (exclude them from backups, for
example).

Anyway, since there is no requirement to use /usr/*/games/, I suppose
the check should only be modified to allow it for games, not to warn
when /usr/lib/packagename is used.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html