On Apr 13, 2020, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net> writes:
>
> > Who makes up the "younger" crowd?  sub 30? sub 20? I mean, I personally
> > was in my mid-20s when I first started using Linux (college), and I had
> > otherwise only been introduced to the internet via AOL.
>
> Sub 30 was what I was thinking of.  I'm only saying there's a bit of a
> statistical tendency, not that this applies to everyone, obviously.  But
> when I look around at the broader development world, the majority of the
> newer projects seem to not use email at all.  Even when they do, it's not
> where the most useful conversation happens.

Ah, guess I'm just old enough to miss that mark (although, I still do
tend to fall into the "younger" part of the Linux crowd).

The thing with the "newer" projects that I've seen (and maybe I'm just a
curmudgeon trapped in a young person's body) is that they come off to me
as the early dotcom "exactly like X, except on the internet!" stuff.

> Now, in a lot of cases the real conversation happens on GitHub, which
> isn't exactly the same thing as a forum.  But forums seem to play a large
> role in some of the more vibrant communities (Rust, for instance).

Haven't really gone there - I have noticed a lot of forums in regards to
microcontrollers; but I tend to just leech off of them as I can't stand
the whole "5th post on basically the same subject on the first page"
garbage that (beginner) fora tend to cultivate.

> [...]
> Professionally, I can tell you that my younger colleagues tend to hate
> email and far prefer other communication mechanisms, and that's not
> because they're unaware of how email is used.  The most commonly stated
> reason is that email is full of noise and pointless messages that aren't
> worth reading, compared to other approaches.  That's just anecdotes, not
> data, obviously, but it made me curious to understand what I might be
> missing.  (My past experience is that when younger colleagues get excited
> about a new way of doing things, I should pay attention, because there are
> probably things that I'm missing and that I will appreciate if I look into
> them more deeply.)

I think your younger colleagues are perhaps in a similar situation as me
then -- the first place they've experienced *real* email volumes is at
their first actual professional position; and they don't know how to
cope with *everything* being placed into their inbox. I mean, I can't
think of any other time before "work" wherein I was getting more than a
handful of "important[1]" emails per day; and now I'm suddenly in a
position where 30 people all have something "important[2]" to send me.

It took me several years to finally get an organization system in place
that made the volume not so distracting -- and the first indication my
initial scheme wasn't as good as it could be was seeing an older
colleague's inbox hierarchy (granted, I had a leg up on some other young
people in that I had already been involved with mailing lists in the
past -- my solution just wasn't as refined as it could have been,
because, well work is outlook, and I was a thunderbird guy, so ... )

[1] As in "I need to do something with this"
[2] As in "Probably not directly for me, but I should have a passing
familiarity in case bossman asks"

--
|_|O|_|