Hi Paul,

On 18 April 2024 at 11:50, Paul Gevers wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| On 18-04-2024 4:41 a.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > I uploaded a first
| > beta release r-base_4.3.3.20240409-1 to 'experimental' a week ago, I just
| > followed up with a rc release r-base_4.3.3.20240416-1.
|
| Thanks for preparing in experimental, as that triggers some QA.
|
| > Given these non-changes, I do not think we need a formal transition. If the
| > release teams thinks otherwise, please let me know, ideally before April 24.
|
| https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?experimental=1&package=r-base shows
| there are 5 reverse (test) dependencies who's autopkgtest fail with the
| latest r-base in experimental. You'll want to discuss with the
| maintainers of those packages what that means for either r-base or their
| packages (ideally by filing bug reports to track the discussion).

Right now it now only shows 'all reports (re-)running'. But package r-base
has had the usual issues in unstable for a few weeks now because 'some
people' insist on adding autopkg tests including for architectures / build
sizes no longer supported upstream -- R stopped 32 bit support over a year
and release ago -- as well continually letting dependencies slip so that the
autopkg tests involve old and outdated package releases combined with the
fact that BioConductor has _very_ specific release cycles yet they throw
r-bioc-* package in too) so there is little I can do on the end of package
r-base. Briefly, I am being put into a bad corner by other maintainers here,
and I no longer have the energy to discuss that with them. We have been at
this for years.

The r-base package itself is fine in unstable, as well as with eg the
packages I maintain.  It is also fine in Ubuntu (and Debian, both also via
backports we coordinate at the R mirror network CRAN) and I run an add-on
project [1] where *every* CRAN package (and 400+ BioConductor packages) is
turned into .deb packages access from R via install.packages() (for the two
most recent LTS releases).  I know this stuff, I have been using and
contributing to R for 25 years, I am in close contact with upstream, and I
happen to sit on the R Foundation board.

Cheers, Dirk

[1] https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org