On 21 April 2024 at 15:25, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
| On 4/21/24 3:04 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > R upstream no longer releases or tests for 32 bits (and has not since the R
| > 4.3.0 release a year ago) so 'expect trouble there'.  I think you all in the
| > release team may need to override this to unblock.
|
| Wouldn't it be better then to add architecture-is-64-bit to the r-base
| build dependencies to prevent it from building on 32bit architectures
| and then file partial RM bugreports for r-base and its rdeps to get them
| removed from the 32bit architectures?

Yes!! I actually grep'ed among all my (100+) packages but did not see an
example.  I may be missing the best way to do this: so is this (new to me)
'architecture-is-64-bit' the way to do it?  A quick 'apt-cache search' leads
me to 'architecture-properties'.

I would be in favor. So thanks for the suggestion!  Are there concerns or
side effects or our desire to build for as many platforms as possible etc?

Dirk
--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org