Egon,

(and CCs to those who contributed to the thread already, as well as to Klaus
and Ian re the LCC aspects below)

On 17 November 2005 at 12:36, Egon Willighagen wrote:
| I've been thinking about live linux CDs to demo and easily setup a developers
| environment for Java based chemoinformatics software. So I want to make a
| custom CD with openbabel, CDK, JChemPaint, Jmol, pyMOL, xdrawchem,
| kfile_chemical, etc, and as developers tools C++, eclipse, Blackdown Java (or
| something like that).
|
| I have no preference for Kubuntu/Knoppix or whatever, but do require KDE as
| desktop (for kfile_chemical).
|
| I know there are some some live CDs around, but would appreciate your ideas
of
| best practices for setting up such a live CD.

Quantian already has a clear focus on science / numerics / quant stuff,
contains the 1.4.2 Java JRE and is KDE-based --- so it would fit your needs.

I am hoping to have a new Quantian release (based on Knoppix 4.0.2) out "in
the next little while" and was thinking about Java support as I'd love to
have the JGR ide/gui/everything for R [http://stats.math.uni-augsburg.de/JGR]
on it. However, JGR requires Java 1.5 so this is a can of worms.

Would you, or anybody else for that matter, be interested in helping with the
next Quantian release?  I am very much in favour of making things more
modular.  Morphix is one idea, the LCC is another (and Knoppix and Mepis have
joined there already).  It would be tremendous if we could have (large) core
parts like openMosix, Java, ... as pluggable modules.  Any interest?  How
could we get traction on that?

Regards, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'