On 18 November 2005 at 08:06, elijah wright wrote:

| > Now, what I read from time to time on planet.debian.org concerning
| > progress with Java in Debian seems rather encouraging, but I am not
| > following it that closely.  If the free stack was up for running
| > Eclipse, I'd be all for it. Would you be in a position to test / improve
| > this for Quantian?
|
| the current eclipse-in-main is built with GCJ, isn't it?

Indeed --- looks like we can tick that one off.  But recall that the thread
started with Egon wondering about JChemPaint and Jmol [ and Egon said in
private mail that these need Swing :-/ ], and that I had said that I'd like
to add JGR [ which needs Sun's 1.5 :-/ ].

Moreover, folks have long suggested [1] that Quantian ought to add
        ImageJ (http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij)
and more recently
        Weka  (http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka)
        GridWeka  (http://smi.ucd.ie/~rinat/weka/)

Does anybody know if these could run under free Java stacks?  I suspect they
don't so Quantian will probably have to continue to ship with non-free Java.

Dirk

[1] The todo list is at http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/todo.wml

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'