On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 14:03 +0100, phi debian wrote:
> Jeez, welcome lxde, adieu gnome3 !!!
>
> I installed a fresh debian in a guest as server, then apt-get install
> lxde.
>
> In a matter of minute I got a theme, with solid backgroud, my panel on
> the right, some usual goodies like synaptic, update-manager-gnome,
>
> So I know I will be able to move to this.
>
> Just a quick remaining question then, though I guess I'd better
> register and ask it to an lxde mailing list.
>
> Is there a way to 'add to pannel' an application launcher, I need to
> have in my pannel a few button that basically spawn remote conexion to
> well known servers. ?
>
> So for I can only add to the lxde pannel some predifined applet, but I
> can't really make a button than run something (either in a term or as
> an app).
>
> Thanx for the good suggestions, debian will survive the new eratic wm
> era, where the want our display look like smart phone.
>
> Cheers,
> Phi

The default DE for AVLinux (Debian stable) is LXDE (or at least was it,
dunno if it's still LXDE). Xfce4 was close to GNOME 2 and most Xfce
versions still are ok.

You can use LXDE with different WMs (openbox, fvwm, icewm, dwm,
metacity, compiz, etc.) that perhaps provide different features. The
default for my AVLinux LXDE install is Compiz, but I experienced Compiz
as a PITA.