On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:27:59PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 04:34:07PM +0200, Jakob Eriksson wrote:

> > http://line.sourceforge.net/
>
> That's a dirty hack. I can run GNU/Linux under an emulator like Bochs, too.
> But
> none of this is able to take advantage of the kernel-specific features that
> win32 provides.

Dirty.  That is a matter of opinion.  Another might call it a
beautiful hack.  Unless backed by some facts to form the basis
of opinion, a stated opinion can be interesting, but seldom very
contributing to a discussion.

I am not sure why you mention Bochs?  Bochs is something entirely
different.  Bochs emulates hardware.

LINE is an ELF program loader.  A Linux program loaded through LINE can
indeed use any win32 kernel feature.

The complementary example is Wine: a Windows program loaded through Wine
can also use any feature exported by the Linux kernel.  This has
been discussed on the Wine mailing list.  Windows programs (if
programmed to do it) can detect that they are running under Linux and
call Linux API directly.

So LINE is _very_ much the exact opposite of Wine. The difference
is merely one of scope.

In the case of Wine, the developers have to reimplement the Windows
equivalent of the Linux kernel as well all common support libraries
to make a complete Win32 system. (Both kernel and user space has to
be reimplemented.)

In the case of LINE, all user space libraries and programs are already
implemented.  The Debian distribution has already done that for us,
in the form of Debian-i386.  The only missing piece is the kernel,
which is what LINE implements.

--
regards,
Jakob

is.  If you don't, it's its.  Then too, it's hers.  It isn't her's.  It
isn't our's either.  It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.