Xavier Hanin wrote:

con.createStatement().executeUpdate("create table Issue ( ID char(50) )"); PreparedStatement st = con.prepareStatement("select count(*) from Issue where ? is null");
            st.setNull(1, Types.VARBINARY);

I do not think that CHAR and VARBINARY are compatible types. Try using Types.VARCHAR instead.

In this case I think it is the client driver that is wrong. It is not first example where it allows type conversions that are not according to the spec. (Ref. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1501)

--
Øystein