On 4/2/07, Rick Hillegas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It seems to me that the compiler should not think it has enough
information at prepareStatement() time to assign the ? a type of
VARCHAR. That looks like a bug to me.

As a workaround, the following statement gives the compiler enough
information to correctly type the ? parameter. This allows you to set
the ? parameter to a null VARBINARY value and then execute the query.
This works under both the embedded and network clients:

select count(*) from Issue where cast (? as varchar(20) for bit data) is
null

Ok, thanks a lot for the workaround, even if I don't think I'll be able to
use it since Hibernate is generating the query for me. But it won't get me
out of using Derby, it eases my developments a lot!

- Xavier

Regards,
Rick