On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 20:30 +0000, twoho...@gmail.com wrote:
> Not all his points though.
>
> Some people do value freedom. I subscribe to a product that respects my
> freedom. The extra emphasis is odd though.
>
> Even when viewed in light of costs, nothing comes free but if its prepaid
> then the recipients really have some freedom ... Else put a price tag. That
> is also legitimate.
>
> This is just another controversial thread. I wouldn't dwell on those rants.
> the worst way to learn is to unlearn

One of the key differentiators between Fedora and other Linux distros is
our commitment to freedom. No, you don't get MP3s out of the box.
There's a good reason why. Tatica's mockup is absolutely accurate on
that point. No, it doesn't make sense to emphsize weaknesses, but it's
also *wrong* to lie or mislead.

Also viewing the poster in context (which I'll note Mr. Snark did not)
it is one of 4 points; it's not broadcast as the sole selling point of
Fedora at all.

Some rewording might help. Here's the language we use on this very same
point on fedoraproject.org:

"Freedom is key: Advancing software and content freedom is a key goal of
the Fedora Project."

"We believe we should use and distribute the software and content we
promote to accomplish our mission of advancing free software. We provide
free alternatives to proprietary code and content to make Fedora
completely free and redistributable for everyone. That way, anyone can
use any of our work for their own purposes, without legal hassles, to
further spread free software."

Our stance on software freedom helps our users, because we are working
to promote and defend our users' rights with respect to the software we
use. So maybe some suggestions for rewording:

"Defending your freedom"

"Freedom is key"

"Advancing free software"

"Freedom is a feature"