@Padfoot: I'm not saying this is a lightdm-gtk-greeter bug, as I said
above, it only triggers the issue. It could well be an xorg or GTK bug.

What I was saying is that if I log into Gnome with lightdm-gtk-greeter
(or unity-greeter) and the cursor is set on the root window, cursor
changing and resizing does not work correctly in Gnome (I was pretty
sure I could reproduce it on XFCE too, but maybe I am mistaken, I will
test again later). If the cursor is not set on the root window, it works
as expected (with metacity or mutter, not with compiz).

I should clarify that changing the cursor theme or size does partially
work, every cursor will change except the default LEFT_PTR cursor.

I posted what I found here in the hope that maybe somebody else would
have an idea where to look for the actual bug.

If it does work in XFCE then that would be great, maybe I can figure out
why (XFCE still uses gtk2 right? maybe it is a gtk3 bug, which would
explain why it works hovering over Firefox works, though I was pretty
sure I could reproduce it with other gtk2 windows too, have to test that
again as well).

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Mouse cursor theme does not change from default after login

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Debian:

  When using LightDM to login to a GNOME Shell session, the mouse
  cursor's appearance does not change from what it is in the lightdm
  login screen (black pointer from default X theme). Any custom mouse
  cursor theme actually does apply within any open application windows,
  but hovering the cursor over the window title bar, the root window, or
  the Shell interface changes it back to the default black pointer,
  leading to an inconsistent appearance.