I mean that lightdm triggers something at least in GTK2/3. Even opera's
own toolkit which reuses somehow GTK (if u tell it to do so) isn't
affected.

I can confirm that about LEFT_PTR also. I can change mouse theme in
xfce4 but LEFT_PTR is unchanged.

Also before LightDM there was LXDM. And before that was slim (and qingy
). GDM never was an option since it was overbloated.

and since LightDM uses mouse - it's its job to theme cursor properly and do not
taint user space.
lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf  -> cursor-name=Obsidian

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Mouse cursor theme does not change from default after login

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Debian:

  When using LightDM to login to a GNOME Shell session, the mouse
  cursor's appearance does not change from what it is in the lightdm
  login screen (black pointer from default X theme). Any custom mouse
  cursor theme actually does apply within any open application windows,
  but hovering the cursor over the window title bar, the root window, or
  the Shell interface changes it back to the default black pointer,
  leading to an inconsistent appearance.