Thanks for further input.

Then it looks like we are agreed to change to Noto for both Japanese and
Korean in the development version of Ubuntu 18.04. I'll wait a day or
two, and if nobody has strong objections, I'll make some changes.

Then, indeed, I'm going to ask for testing and feedback, so we can deal
with possible issues.

Finally, if we - contrary to expectation - would encounter issues which
we can't resolve, we always have the option to reverse to the old fonts
before the 18.04 release.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Switch to Noto Sans as default font for Japanese and/or Korean?

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu 16.04 Noto Sans CJK is the default font for rendering
  Chinese. After having struggled with a few issues, I believe that we
  finally achieved the desired improvement of the rendering experience.

  So now I ask: Is there an interest from Japanese and Korean users to
  consider a switch to Noto Sans? (The fonts are already installed for
  all users on Ubuntu 16.04.)